9/25/2008

Prayer for Lyla

I had a really neat experience at a doctors visit today. I went to see one of Lyla's metabolic doctors today, Dr. Wang. I have always really liked him, and his colleague Dr. Chang. They both have been very forthcoming and helpful with everything that has gone on, and have gone out of their way to make sure that we have all of our questions answered to the best of their abilities. They have spent a lot of time in our visits just talking things through, and I never feel rushed. I feel very comfortable with them, and with the care and study that they are giving to Lyla's case. The last time I met with Dr. Wang, he mentioned that he saw in her file that we were supported by our church group, and he expressed that he was glad that we were able to rely on them and our faith. We only discussed it briefly, but I remember feeling impressed in our short conversation that he would take the moment to comment on that, and convey his feelings of faith in the Lord's eternal plan for all of us, including Lyla. I don't know what religion he practices, but I know that he is a devoted follower of Christ. Today, after discussing Lyla's case a little bit, and talking about how we have pretty much done every noninvasive bloodwork or urine test that is out there, we started talking about faith again. He was sitting next to us, looking over Lyla on my lap, and asked if he could pray for Lyla. I, of course, said yes, I invite everyone to pray for Lyla because that is really all we can do for her right now. I didn't know that he meant right then, but he proceeded to say a prayer out loud for her. He prayed for her, and for her body, and he prayed for himself and her team of doctors that they might be guided and inspired in their quest for answers and assistance for her. He prayed for our family, that we would be comforted and supported through our trials. He acknowledged our acceptance in God's plan for all of us, and that we all might have faith in His will. His prayer lasted about 2 minutes, and all during the prayer he gently held onto Lyla's little foot. After it was done, he thanked me for letting him pray for her, and that he has wanted to do that for a few of his patients, but is obviously cautious. He said that he sees a lot of terrible cases, and a lot of families in pain, and that in his specialty, there are a lot of times when you wish you could do something, but don't know what else to do. Lyla's case is one of those! And it's at times like this, when you have to turn it over to the Lord and say I've done all I can do, and we need help. I was extremely impressed and overwhelmed by his humility, which I'm sorry to say, you really don't see that often with these doctors. I can't tell you how many neurologists I have seen that don't have an ounce of sympathy, or humility, or empathy, whatever you want to call it, in their bedside manner at all. Which really isn't always a bad thing, but it was so refreshing and comforting to find exactly the opposite in Dr. Wang. He told me that he wanted me to tell Mike and my family that he is praying for Lyla, and that he and his kids have a handful of children that they pray for every night, all children that he doesn't know what else he can do for them. I can't tell you how blessed and grateful I feel after that to know that our sweet girl is being cared for by him, and that he is relying on his faith in the Lord to guide him in her care. It brings me to tears and has made me that much more aware that the Lord is watching out for us, that he is sending people our way that will support us in our trials. The world is full of a lot of terrible things, and a lot of terrible people, but I have seen a love and kindness in almost strangers that I never knew was out there. And for that, I am grateful!

6 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I'm so glad you shared your special experience Lizzy. You are right that we always hear about all the "bad" things and people in the world, but I firmly believe that there are more "good" things and people in this world and your story proved that. The Lord is definately putting people in your lives that will help you, your family and beautiful, sweet Lyla. I love you guys!

9/26/2008 08:30:00 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

What a blessing to have such a special doctor, and thank you for sharing your experience. Not all doctors are as sensitive and humble as this special doctor for Lyla -- the Lord does put special people in our lives to help us on our way. We love you all.

9/26/2008 05:04:00 PM  
Blogger Kerri said...

What a neat story and what an awesome doctor!! I am so glad he is one of the many that is taking care of your sweet Lyla. I am sure so many are praying for her, more than you even realize I am sure. Life is definitely full of trials ... but many blessings are out there for us as well.

9/26/2008 06:19:00 PM  
Blogger The Calhouns said...

What can I say? Amazing experience...and I'm glad that you wrote it down to share and for you to remember your feelings during that moment. Love you.

9/27/2008 02:43:00 PM  
Blogger Moody Family... said...

You are so lucky to have suce a wonderful and "in tune" doctor. We will keep sweet Lyla in our prayers, too!

10/05/2008 03:29:00 PM  
Blogger Jaynann said...

That is such a special experience. It's amazing how faith can really connect people and give each of us strength. That must be comforting to know that he prays for guidance as he cares for Lyla. What a sweet and sensitive man.

Hope you are well. I will continue to pray for Lyla and your cute family!

10/08/2008 08:49:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home