Lyla's Splints
Lyla's condition, whatever that may be, causes her muscles to be very tight, or spastic. This is very apparent in her little hands. Most of the time, especially when she is stimulated or trying to do something, her hands tighten up into little fists. It is extremely difficult to open up her fingers when she is so tight. It's not good to let her hands continue to be fisted like that all the time, so we are trying to stretch out her fingers and keep them open as much as we can. When she is sleeping she is generally pretty relaxed, so we don't have to worry about that, but during the day, she needs to be splinted.
Her occupational therapist fit her for splints a little bigger than her hands, and got out some "pretty" pink velcro to secure them. It screams that there is something amiss, but she's a girl, so we like to be girlie in pink!
Here is what they look like:
She is nice and chubby in her hands, so sometimes it looks like they are too tight, but they are not. We have to keep them tight enough to keep her fingers extended, but obviously don't want to cut off any circulation!
Even with the splints on, you can tell that she is working against them. In the next picture you can see that her fingernail tips in her left hand are white, trying to clench her fist.
The hope is that having the splints on will help keep her hands open and stretched out, otherwise they will grow curled inward. So, we like them, even though they are nice and bright!

9 Comments:
Well if you have to have splints pink is the way to go. I hope these help little Lyla. I love her chubby little hands.
Oh those pics! our poor little girl and her mama! They're cute nonetheless.
Could her little chubby hands be any cuter, love it!!
Love the little chubby hands. Maybe you can put some glitter and rhinestones on them to make them more girly......why hide them?????
Love you!
I like the pink, and since I have seen her she has such chubby little hands. Rhinestones would be nice!!! Hugs.....
I love her cute chubby hands! I wanted to see her beautiful face in the pics too. Pink is always a great color and will compliment any outfit she will wear. Love you guys!
Love her chubby hands. I've been thinking about you especially being at my moms this last weekend. Hope you're getting relief if at all possible:) Love ya!
Love the pink - I hope they help Lyla's cute little hands - I'm totally liking the rhinestones idea too. :)
I just stumbled on to your blog! Your family is so darling! I can't believe you have four kids. We will in 7 months. Lyla is such a doll- incredible the challenges we have to face sometimes! As if parenthood wasnt challenging enough! she is still smiling through it all though.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home