Love/Hate Mother's Day
I haven't yet made up my mind if I like this day or not. All day today I have been thinking of how much I DO NOT like Mother's Day. I don't like the fact that there is so much advertisement of these husbands buying their wives jewelry, and flowers, and gifts....where do these husbands come from, does everyone else have a husband like this? Or are most husbands like Mike? He doesn't like celebrating any day that makes him get me something, and Mother's day is no exception I'm sure. I really don't blame him, and it doesn't bother me that he feels that way 364 days of the year, but when the one day comes that it seems every other mom is being pampered and showered with gifts, that is when I start to care. I hate that, because Mike is pretty much an awesome husband every day of the year (give or take a few!).
And I hate the fact that Mother's day is on a Sunday? What idiot planned that? It's the only day of the week that we can't go out to dinner, so I have to cook, unless I want pancakes and eggs for dinner! Although, I have to note that Mike did ask me what I wanted him to cook tomorrow, for each meal! So, these were a few of my thoughts as I went about my day. Then I came home and looked through the things that the kids made me in school. It was a bummer that I couldn't make it to the girls' classrooms yesterday, they had a little celebration for Moms, but I was at the hospital with Lyla. Here are a few things that made me smile:
Madelyn did a portrait of me!

Abigail says that I am like a diamond....haven't figured out what that means yet!

I thought this was really cute, Abby made a sign that stretched out to say "my love for you grows, and grows, and grows!



Michael filled out a book about me, here are a few things that he said about me...
And I hate the fact that Mother's day is on a Sunday? What idiot planned that? It's the only day of the week that we can't go out to dinner, so I have to cook, unless I want pancakes and eggs for dinner! Although, I have to note that Mike did ask me what I wanted him to cook tomorrow, for each meal! So, these were a few of my thoughts as I went about my day. Then I came home and looked through the things that the kids made me in school. It was a bummer that I couldn't make it to the girls' classrooms yesterday, they had a little celebration for Moms, but I was at the hospital with Lyla. Here are a few things that made me smile:
Madelyn did a portrait of me!
Abigail says that I am like a diamond....haven't figured out what that means yet!
I thought this was really cute, Abby made a sign that stretched out to say "my love for you grows, and grows, and grows!
Michael filled out a book about me, here are a few things that he said about me...
- I am 20 years old
- I have black hair and black eyes
- When I am at home I watch tv all the time and cook
- For work I clean with a mop
- He would give me a race track if he could
- My favorite food is french toast and milk, and my favorite dinner is waffles
- My favorite tv show is commercials
- He loves me because I am beautiful!
Madelyn said this in her book about me...
- I am 32 years old
- I weigh 60 pounds!
- I am 20 feet tall
- I have black hair
- I like to wear dresses
- My favorite food is ice cream
- To stay in shape I like to go on walks
- I really like to go to the pool
- I do not like jellyfish
- I am a good worker in the garden
- If she could, she would buy me a necklace for Mother's Day
I laugh at the things they wrote about me, because pretty much they were really writing about themselves! But, those are the things that made me smile today. So, I'm just going to buck up, and try and enjoy the day tomorrow! After all, it only comes once a year!

5 Comments:
I love all the things your kids made for you, how sweet are they?!? Their art-work and little sayings made me smile!! :)
I think the creations that the girls brought home are great and so creative! I loved Michael's WOW/MOM card. Those things are the best part of Mother's Day. I just wish people were as sweet to women as they are on Mother's Day.
This post made me think of the time in New York when Simon said, "I would rather watch my money burn, than go on one of those carriage rides". So romantic :) I LOVE the things that the kids wrote in their books! I love that you "watch tv all the time and cook" And the cards are so creative and fun!
I feel the same way about Mother's Day Lizzy! When the talks started in church yesterday, I leaned over to Kirk and said, "Here comes the guilt trip" as the speaker talked about how his mother was so loving and tender, etc. I guess my kids missed out on a mother like that. Oh well, I loved the handmade cards I got from the kids...and oh yeah...Kirk's hand made card too! It was precious!!!
those things the kids wrote are so cute.
i have struggled with mother's day for years - for obvious reasons - then when i finally figured out how to tell jeff everything i expected and wanted he seems to up for the challenge.
but i think this year mother's day was just a joy, maybe too it is because jeff spoke in church and told the "you don't buy me *&@!" story from Nordstrom.
you are a great mom and i hope your mothers day turned out great.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home