Lyla's Evaluation
Thought I would post about Lyla's visit today with the social worker, since a few of you wanted me to let you know what happened. She came over today for an initial evalution of Lyla to see if she might be eligible to receive services through the state for her developmental delays. Really it just entailed gathering a bunch of information on what I have noticed, what our pediatrician has recommended, etc. She observed Lyla in action, pretty much crying the whole time! What she noticed was pretty much what we have noticed. She tracks movements, so she can see, but she doesn't focus much, or initiate eye contact. Whether that means she can't see very well, or what, we don't know. I made an appointment with a pediatric opthamologist to get an opinion, that could be tomorrow but most likely won't be until June. She also noticed that she doesn't have much muscle strength, can't hold her head up very well, doesn't roll over, doesn't reach for things, and doesn't do tummy time to strengthen those muscles. She is also always clenched up in her fists, and tense in her body. I also mentioned the feeding problems that we have been having. Pretty much she is a rather miserable child!
So, after all of that, her recommendation goes to an eligibility board, on Wednesday, to determine if she is eligible to continue down the path through their early developmental intervention program. Then she gets evaluated more precisely by the therapists at the Intervention center to determine how much delay she has, and the road continues. She is going to suggest that she be eligible, but we will see what the board determines.
I feel relieved to be making some sort of progress in some directions to determine what her issues are, but scared to be realizing how vast these problems may be. I just want to get some answers as to why she is so uncomfortable, because that may be why she is not able to progress developmentally. So, all of this means more doctors appointments, and probably more questions, and not necessarily more answers.
So, that is about it. Sorry to bore with all the details, but I also don't want to have to have this conversation over and over!!! Love you all!

7 Comments:
I'm so glad to have the update. I'm thinking about and praying for you and Lyla all the time. Love and so much love! - Amy
Thank you for the update, and you know our thoughts and prayers are with you. Sending you all of our love! Mom
Lizzy, I feel so bad that you have had such a crazy week and I didn't even know! I am so sorry that I didn't call you last week. Thanks for all the updates. Good thing for these blogs! Hopefully I will get to see you this week.
I hope they are able to help Lyla and get answers. We're praying for her and we love you!
I hope you are able to get some answers soon to not only help her out, but you too!! I think the "un-known" is always so hard ... hang in there!!
i am so happy you have this space to write it all down for you and for me. we are thinking about you so much this weekend.
So sorry for all you are dealing with right now. I didn't know Lyla has been having such a hard time. I will pray for her and your family. Not knowing can be so painful. I hope your mind is set at ease soon. Love you.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home